Chelmsford City commuters were making their way back to work after the Christmas break. The 3rd January is seen as the first day back for many and commuters return to the annual increase in Rail Fares. Across the country fares have risen on average by 27%, increasing far faster than wages, in Chelmsford the commuter from Chelmsford City to Liverpool Street station, has gone up, since the Tories took over in 2010 by 15%
Chelmsford Labour's Richard Hyland was at the station to hand out leaflets to raise awareness of Labours alternative to profitering of passengers. Alongside TUC members, Action for Rail and Labour Party Members were BBC Essex, Heart Radio and ITV Anglia news came to cover the issue.
Richard Hyland said "A number of commuters took the time to stop and praise Chelmsford Labour Party for being here today, being in touch with City residents concerns and offering an alternative to the current administrations #RailFail."
ITV Anglia spoke with Richard Hyland, Labour's Candidate for Chelmsford West District in this May's Essex County Council Election. "It just adds to the frustration, what people want to do its get to work, on time and we really a service provide that is reliable, effective and fair."
Rail fares are rising
• Since the Tories came to power rail fares have rocketed by 27 per cent
• That is a rise three times faster than wages
• The cost of some season tickets will have risen by over 40 per cent
Under investment is leading to chaos and cost to commuters
• Commuters were always told that higher fares would fund investment, but vital projects have been delayed for years
• Passengers are paying even more to travel on increasingly overcrowded and unreliable trains
• The Tories are failing working people and have no answers to the big challenges facing Britain
Labour has an alternative plan for railways. Labour will:
• Bring railways into public ownership
• Put passengers first and keep fares down
• Invest in our railways
Find out more from the media coverage of this campaign